With all the constant changes in social media and it’s getting to the point where only those who keep up with the changes are able to use it successfully for marketing. However, there are a few things anyone can do to create more traffic and sales using the media platforms.
- Audit your social media – What are you and your company doing right now with social media? Hootsuite, that company that provides a way to combine all the social media platforms for every post (among other useful services), has provided us with a template to audit your company’s media. It’s a free download: https://blog.hootsuite.com/how-to-create-a-social-media-marketing-plan/ The form contains a spreadsheet to list all your media platforms, passwords, usernames, daily connection numbers, even the demographics of who connects (target audience). Also included should be branding consistency with cover and bio photos, logos, descriptions and accurate, up to date company information.
- Set some goals – who is going to be attracted to each media platform, what kind of content will be posted, how often and who can we predict will see it (reach) and respond (conversion)? Probably your goals will need to change, so just predict what might happen using past history or by observing your competitors’ sites.
- Get involved with social media influencers, people with thousands of followers. This is a bit like the old celebrity endorsement. However, with social media you can do more than asking someone to use your services or products. Just following them on Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin groups or Instagram categories (hashtags) can provide traffic back to your media sites. Posting questions and replies on their sites means your name will go out to all their followers.
- Use live streaming. This is especially useful during a large event. What is going on right now? Send it out and put a face to your posts. Live streaming – just a short video taken from your cell phone with the right lighting and sound quality – can be a great addition to other more informative or educational stuff. People want to know “the story”, the adventure. It’s the reality TV side of things.
- Use promotions and contests – Here are some examples that have worked well. Be creative!
- Like this post to enter the contest for a free membership/product. Winner to be announced on March 30.
- Use the following coupon code to purchase a _________ for only $5. Promotion ends on Wednesday, so hurry to this site. (link to the sales page). Code: QQBVarm4C9
Using social media advertising and paid ads can be quite expensive. If you want to try advertising, my advice is to start with a small budget till you find out what is working for you. Here is the point of hiring an expert as this person could save you a lot of time creating and monitoring the ads for you. Each platform and company is different so some experimentation is vital.